Roasted sweet potatoes and red onions are magical in this creamy dairy-free soup when combined with macadamia nuts, ginger and a squeeze of lime juice. The crushed macadamia nuts on top are a must!
Sweet Potato Nutty Soup
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
- 1kg orange sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup 70g unsalted macadamias
- Fresh lime wedges, to serve
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, to serve
- Optional chopped macadamias, for garnish
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Line a large baking sheet with a silicone liner or parchment paper.
Toss the onions and sweet potatoes in oil and salt and spread out on the prepared baking sheet. Roast for about 50 min, until the vegetables are cooked but not burnt. You don’t want any black bits. You are going to put them into the pot to boil and cook further.
Transfer the vegetables to a large saucepan and add the vegetable broth, ginger, turmeric, and cayenne.
Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-high, and simmer, partially covered, for about 15 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the macadamias. Allow the mixture to stand for 10 minutes to soften the nuts and cool the soup slightly.
Blend the soup with hand blender
- Season to taste
To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and add a splash of the lime juice, top with cilantro and macadamias if using.